Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 2013 Paddling Season Highs and Lows

Paddling Season in Review

Well, it’s that time of year again…time to look back and reflect on the 2013 paddling season…time for enjoying the high points and maybe wincing at the low points. Here are mine, for whatever they’re worth, in chronological order, all from trips on the official club schedule. It would be fun to read the highs and lows of others as well, so please consider adding your best and worst paddling experiences of 2013.

High Points

1. Cuyahoga River, Peninsula to Brecksville, June 2. Using the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad for the shuttle was a unique experience. But the foot of water we had made this a fun run, particularly the first three miles of class 1-2 water above the I-271 bridge. Though hardly a positive, the enormous stand of the highly invasive shrub, Japanese knotweed, that seemed to extend for a mile on river left also made an impression. (The carry from the train to the put-in, however, was a candidate for one of the year’s low points.)

2. Mahoning River, Rotary Park to Swift Park, June 22. This was billed as a sunset run, and that’s what made this trip stand out. No oppressive, midday sun beat down on us. The cool and still evening air and songs of wood thrush, veery, and towhee in the forest gave this trip a relaxed and very peaceful feel.

3. Cuyahoga River, River Bend Blvd in Kent to Waterworks Park, October 27. Water level, fall foliage, no wind, and a post-paddle stop at Pufferbelly’s in Kent made this trip memorable. We had about six inches of water and a decent current. Though it was late in October, there were still many colorful leaves on the trees. Six of us who made the trip stopped for a bite to eat afterwards and enjoyed the chance to get to know something about each other besides our love of paddling.

Low Points

1. Dead Battery. Slippery Rock Creek, Armstrong Bridge to Ellport Park, March 17. There was nothing bad about the run itself, but when we returned to the put in to pick up vehicles, my car battery was dead. Luckily, several others from the trip were still in the parking lot and Steve Preston gave me a jump start. Thanks Steve!

2. The Wind. Grand River (April 7) and French Creek (May 5). Both trips experienced heavy winds. The wind on French Creek was especially strong and constant to the point that it took away much of the pleasure of the trip. Once we reached the Allegheny, I had to tack back and forth like a sailor from one side of the river to the other a couple times to reach the take out.

3. Lost Keys. Mahoning River through Youngstown, August 4. As we were taking gear out of our boats at the Lowellville takeout, I suddenly realized that my spare set of keys that I keep in a small dry bag was no where to found. I had an idea where it might be–at cement plant rapids where we had stopped for lunch and where a few of us did some throw rope practice in the current. But how in the world do you find that spot from the streets of Youngstown??? I didn’t have a clue.

I had already agreed to take Bruce Ambrose back up to the put in at B&O Station to pick up his vehicle, and figured I would somehow try to find the spot after I dropped him off. Luckily, just as I was leaving the B&O parking lot, Jake Jones was pulling in after giving another paddler from the trip a ride back to their vehicle. I asked Jake if he knew how to get to cement plant rapids from the streets and he assured me that he did and would be happy to help me get there.

After taking us through some desolate and spooky areas of Youngstown, we reached the river EXACTLY at the spot of cement plant rapids on river right. I could see the blue dry bag from the bank lying on the cobble bar immediately next to the rapids where we’d be practicing the throw rope. But I still had to get across the river to retrieve it. The channel was surprisingly deep and current fairly strong in the right channel, but I jumped in and swam across (PFD on) and recovered the bag. Thanks a million, Jake!

Last edited by JPTolson; 12-27-2013 at 01:54 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JPTolson For This Useful Post:
Lee3553  (12-27-2013)