Old 01-30-2023, 02:18 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Middle Fork of Little Beaver Creek

TCT,

Has anyone in the club (or others who are reading this) paddled sections of the Middle Fork of Little Beaver Creek upriver of Teegarden? I am interested in hearing about water levels, extent of strainers, access issues, low water bridges, parking at put ins/take outs, junk yard dogs, friendly and unfriendly property owners, etc....the whole nine yards. The stream suffers from contaminated sediment along this stretch from the days of Nease Chemical when Mirex and other chemicals found their way into the water. Some remediation was done on the site of the chemical plant, but I'm not sure to what extent contaminated stream sediments may have been dredged. Any information about paddling the stream, hazards, and access would be appreciated. Thanks.

JP
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:23 AM   #2
KenM

Default UP river of Teagarden?

The reports from your trip Down river in 2019 were the only info I've ever heard tell of on that section. And water was fairly high? Upstream ??? I would assume this would have to be done on the rare occasion the river was high which is probably why not much info is available.

A suggestion... Try to contact those people from the park district that paddle the down river section. Maybe they would be local enough to have tried the upper part?

---Ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:40 PM   #3
JPTolson

Default Good idea

Thanks for the suggestion, Ken, about contacting the county park district. There are also members of the Little Beaver Creek National Wild and Scenic River Advisory Council that might shed some light on the headwaters. It's probably a 15 mile stretch of creek that I would like to get under my belt since I grew up in the area. But I moved away in my 20s before developing an interest in paddling.

Yes, my guess is that one would have to catch most of the creek upstream of Teegarden after significant rain. It's a very narrow creek that is not likely to attract many paddlers and will likely be a strainer fest. In my limited experience paddling the section from Teegarden to Lisbon, the minimum level at Grimm's Bridge seems to be around 4.8/4.9 feet.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:30 AM   #4
KenM

Default Another suggestion...

Make up a really good story about this section.

Send it to Mike.

Wait for his trip report. !!!!!

Old 02-05-2023, 02:27 PM   #5
JPTolson

Default A Spooky Run!

Well, for one thing, the creek goes through the Egypt Road swamp (really wetlands but swamp sounds creepier) and under the legendary and spooky Cry Baby Bridge known in local lore for sightings of Johnny No Face, the purple mist, and the blue lights of Painter, a road leading down to the swamp.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:19 PM   #6
mfdanko99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Make up a really good story about this section.

Send it to Mike.

Wait for his trip report. !!!!!

Lol
I will join jp for that trip
Old 02-08-2023, 04:28 PM   #7
KenM

Default Egypt Swamp

Egypt Swamp, Crying Baby Bridge--sounds like perfect place for full moon paddle. Howloooo! ----CEL