Old 03-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default What Was Your Paddling Inspiration???

TCT,

As we wile away the time before paddling season begins, I thought it might be interesting to ask club members how and why they were drawn to paddling canoes and kayaks. I hope at least a few fellow paddlers will be willing to share here what inspired them to take up the sport.

For me, it was a spring run down a twelve-mile stretch of West Virginia's Cacapon River back in the mid-1970s with a couple friends starting at a place called Capon Bridge. I had no idea how to paddle a canoe in those days, but I certainly loved what I saw. The hillsides were gorgeous with redbud and dogwood trees all abloom, and the forest leaves were at that fleetingly tender, diminutive, and chartreuse-colored stage. The cliffs and rock outcroppings were beautiful, especially the legendary spire known as Caudy's Castle. And the Cacapon itself was running like a spring river is supposed to–clear, full, and cold–frothy in places while dashing down its course. All of this on a brilliant day of robin's egg blue skies and cool temperatures combined for an unforgettable experience. I was hooked.

Last edited by JPTolson; 03-12-2011 at 10:35 AM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
BOBK

Although my first boating experience was not as pleasant as JP's I shall endeavor to tell it regardless. It was nearly 50 years ago, while walking along the Shenango River I was abducted by a roving band of Canoe Gypsies called "Canypsies". I was held on their canoe and forced to paddle them around the entire Ohio River water system while they danced and partied. I was chained to the Penobscot to prevent my escape. I managed to secure some old fishing line hanging from a shoreline tree and with sand and grit from the river bottom I was able to saw through my chains after 9 years of nightime effort while my captors slept in a drunken stupor. Free at last, I swam to shore only to find that I could barely walk as a result of having been chained to the canoe for so long. But fate smiled on me that day and I stumbled upon a KAYAK nearby on shore...my savior. I paddled miles downstream from the Canypsies to safety and was welcomed aboard a vessel I accidently ran into, I shall never forget that boats name, SS Minnow. And it goes without saying that I will only paddle a Kayak and never a Canoe.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
JPTolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBK View Post
Although my first boating experience was not as pleasant as JP's I shall endeavor to tell it regardless. It was nearly 50 years ago, while walking along the Shenango River I was abducted by a roving band of Canoe Gypsies called "Canypsies". I was held on their canoe and forced to paddle them around the entire Ohio River water system while they danced and partied. I was chained to the Penobscot to prevent my escape. I managed to secure some old fishing line hanging from a shoreline tree and with sand and grit from the river bottom I was able to saw through my chains after 9 years of nightime effort while my captors slept in a drunken stupor. Free at last, I swam to shore only to find that I could barely walk as a result of having been chained to the canoe for so long. But fate smiled on me that day and I stumbled upon a KAYAK nearby on shore...my savior. I paddled miles downstream from the Canypsies to safety and was welcomed aboard a vessel I accidently ran into, I shall never forget that boats name, SS Minnow. And it goes without saying that I will only paddle a Kayak and never a Canoe.
Geez! Either the winter has been harder on Bob than I thought, or he's proving that t-grippers are right to be extremely wary of butt boaters....Maybe both! And I now nominate Bob as the club's official tall tale storyteller on camping trips and during lunch stops.

Last edited by JPTolson; 03-14-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
clipper1

Great story Bob, maybe you missed your true calling in life; maybe you should write "chidrens books". Their is most definitly some deeply rooted resentment to all "T-grippers".
My Grandfather was primarily a farmer who had a forty acre Apple orchard, ten acres of strawberrys, and six acres of Tobacco. His Bread and Butter was a group of five camping trailers on the Grand River that he rented out to fisherman, and each trailer came with a canoe. On occaison, him and my father and uncle's would act as river guides and their was alway's room in Grandpa's boat for me. Grandfather's land was purchased by the Metro Parks when I was six, but to this day I still can hear Gramp's voice from behind giving me meaningful instruction as I paddle. However I do not recall him ever warning me about the "Canypsies"...
clipper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
jerry lyda

I agree. We need to get Bob out. And quickly !! But I think the story shows the great imaginitive minds of a kayaker !
jerry lyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
JPTolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper1 View Post
Great story Bob, maybe you missed your true calling in life; maybe you should write "chidrens books". Their is most definitly some deeply rooted resentment to all "T-grippers".
My Grandfather was primarily a farmer who had a forty acre Apple orchard, ten acres of strawberrys, and six acres of Tobacco. His Bread and Butter was a group of five camping trailers on the Grand River that he rented out to fisherman, and each trailer came with a canoe. On occaison, him and my father and uncle's would act as river guides and their was alway's room in Grandpa's boat for me. Grandfather's land was purchased by the Metro Parks when I was six, but to this day I still can hear Gramp's voice from behind giving me meaningful instruction as I paddle. However I do not recall him ever warning me about the "Canypsies"...
What a nice story, Rich, and great way to remember your grandfather. What a wonderful legacy to give you!

Last edited by JPTolson; 03-15-2011 at 07:59 PM.