Old 07-01-2024, 08:27 PM   #1
Ambridger

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 2024 Picnic

2024 TCTC picnic & safety training

We have an action-packed weekend July 11th through the 14th. I have had several people ask about swift water rescue training. There is a nice little shoot on French Creek in Cochranton PA that would be great for this training so this year’s Club Picnic, Camping, and Safety training revolve around that location.

First, the Mayor of Cochranton has given us permission to camp at the Cochranton Fair Grounds. This is right next to the boat launch up Little Sugar Creek in Cochranton. We will have space for tents, campers, or car camping as you see fit. We can arrive Thursday afternoon and stay until Sunday. There will be porta-johns, otherwise this is rustic camping; no electric / water.

Friday at 5 pm we will meet at the boat launch in Meadville PA for a short 4 mile paddle down French Creek to Shaw's Landing. I will pre stage my car and trailer at the take out so we will start the paddle once everyone arrives, and I will shuttle boats at the end of the paddle. Afterwards all are welcome to come back to camp to hang out around the fire.

Saturday morning will start with Safety training from 9-12 at the Cochranton Fair Grounds/Camp where Mark Vallecorsa, Rich Allen, and I will be conducting the training, Please bring a chair for the first portion of training. We will start with a presentation on extreme temperature training. This will teach us how to deal with things such as heat stroke, hypothermia, etc. Next we will teach on the proper use of a throw rope for swift water rescue. This will start with describing the proper use, followed by on land practice. We will then head out on to French Creek where my kids have volunteered to float down the chute for us to practice using our throw ropes on moving targets. Please bring your throw rope if you have one; we will need as many as we can get our hands on. After the live-water training we will head back over to Lions Park Pavilion #4 (1 pm) for our club picnic and meeting. The club will provide hamburgers and hot dogs, please bring a side or dessert to share; and members are responsible for their own beverages (BYOB). We may need a few grills. The park has electric service, however if anyone can bring a generator in case we need more power than is available, that might be a good idea.
After the Club Picnic we will head to Shaw's landing to launch and paddle back to Cochranton, about a 5 mile paddle, putting us right back at camp. We will work out the shuttle at the picnic. Saturday evening will again be spent around the fire at camp.

Sunday morning we will paddle from Cochranton to Utica. We will meet at the launch in Cochranton at 10 am to drop boats and head for Utica. After we shuttle, we will enjoy a 9 mile paddle. Pack a lunch for the stop mid-way through. This should be an exciting/tiring weekend, but filled with fun fellowship of club members.

Please RSVP for the picnic on the club web-site or FB page so we can plan food. Also, folks who are able to bring grills, generators . . . please let us know. If you are coming to paddle on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, also please let me know so I know who to watch / wait for.

Thanks Dustin Noel
Dustin@noelcanoe.com
724-301-4751

Friday put-in: Wilson Chutes Boat Ramp - 19401 Wilson Chutes Road, Meadville, PA 16335

Friday take-out / Saturday put-in: Shaw's Landing - 5630 Wightman Road, Cochranton, PA 16314

Saturday take-out / Sunday put-in: Cochranton Landing - 2714 Adams Street, Cochranton, PA 16314

Sunday take-out: Utica Boat Launch - 183 Railroad Street, Utica, PA 16362

Last edited by Ambridger; 07-01-2024 at 08:52 PM.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 03:10 AM   #2
jimbo

I will get there Saturday morning for the Safety Training, picnic and stay overnight.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 06:49 AM   #3
DustinSW1627

Wink All about the paddling

Hello,

As you see by the agenda this weekend is all about the paddling. It is a new location with new offerings from the last 2 years at Pymatuning. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions. If anyone is able to bring fire wood that would be great. If anyone is missing the Pymatuning experience I have Group Campsite #8 reserved for Aug. 7th-11th for my church camp out. Any and all from the club are welcome to join us there.

Thanks Dustin Noel
724-301-4751
Dustin@noelcanoe.com
DustinSW1627 is offline   Reply With Quote