View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #16
EAR

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default The Gray Side?

Having 2 canoes and a kayak (butt boat?) I want to weigh in here. I can't say where I prefer my 12.5ft kayak over my 16ft canoes. Maybe in some skinny early season creeks or maybe if I want to go fast for a short distance. But overall I like the way my canoe goes in most every situation. It's more comfortable and I can move around. I can kneel, I can sit (with or without a seatback) and I can stand and stretch if I want to. Come to think of it, I could have a Catholic service in a canoe ( sit stand kneel pray).
My canoes have names. My kayak is just...my kayak.
If cars are the metaphor here ( is that too big a word for you Bob K) my Mad River Explorer (The Funny Bunny ) is an SUV. Heavy. Handles the big load for tandem camping. Goes over the rough stuff easy yet is fun to play in solo.
The Old Town Penobscot ( Scotty ) is a sport sedan. Light,and fast. Handles great. Load it up and travel. I did my 75 mile solo Allegheny trip in this baby.
My kayak (my kayak) would be an economy car. It get's me from point A to B, and its fun to drive, but I wouldn't want to go to far in it !

Last edited by EAR; 11-15-2010 at 03:45 PM.
EAR is offline   Reply With Quote