View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
flagsracer9

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Merry Christmas everyone! First season of paddling down, and hopefully a lot more to come.
Highlights:
3) Cuyahoga River in June: If it weren't for the carrying of the boats for what seemed like 10 miles from the train to the launch, probably would have been #2. Although when we got to the lunch stop, I found out why Steve's kayak weighed so much... I had no idea they had a feast big enough for an army in that boat. No wonder he left it for Linda & I to carry from the train! The train ride with the boats was fun & different. My 4th or 5th? time in a kayak and first real experience with water that was actually moving at a decent speed & rapids.
2) Cuyahoga River/Kent in October: The Kent whitewater section is much easier when it's not at 1600-1700 cfs and near flood stage. No lost boats/paddles or unplanned swimming this time thru. Although, not quite as much of a thrill either. Section after Kent although flat, was very beautiful. Great paddle, although I will be glad next year when we don't have to go around that bridge just past Tannery Park.
1) Tie: French Creek in May & Allegheny River in August:
Allegheny, best part was jumping off the bridge & swimming. Although it was closely followed by trying out the paddleboards. It was also great to meet Matt & Rogue finally. River was nice & having a current just take you downstream made it easy, but too quick. It seemed like we just started out & we were at lunch!
French Creek, Although it is a gorgeous trip & nice weather(except the wind) most of the highlight was that it was my first trip with the club. Getting to meet a lot of wonderful people who I hope to spend many more weekends on the river with. And I guess, also that it was Mike & my first trip in the canoe together as well.
Low Points:
3) Missing the Sunset Paddle.. Really was hoping to make it after Tori & my agility trial but it ran too late. Although she earned a big title that weekend so I guess it was worth it.
2) Taking Tori on the Chili Run... PaddleDog has politely requested no more trips in the canoe unless it's over 60 degrees out. She loves the canoe, hates the cold. I hadn't thought of how cold the bottom of a metal canoe in 40 degree water would be for her, no wonder she kept trying to stand on the side(and flip us).
1) Whitewater in July(all non-club runs)... 1st the Neshonneck at WAY too low. Would have been easier & quicker to have gotten out and walked our boats down the river. Perk:absolutely no concern of drowning in the 2" of water. SO upon getting back to the truck, Mike & I decided to head down to Slippery Rock where he knew there was water. Rose Point to the mill...started off great UNTIL we found 2 drunk kayaking novices to have to rescue. Because retrieving stuck kayaks and random people isn't fun enough, add to it they were both too drunk to even stand up straight or listen to which direction on the trail to walk. We finally got to leave & head home after midnight when we left the search & rescue crews to search for the drunk, who we later found out had turned around and walked the opposite direction on the path then Mike had told him to go. 3rd-Kent at really high levels. 1st trip thru was a blast! Very fun, big thrill, major jump in confidence.. 2nd time thru, we came out without a kayak, a paddle, a water bottle & Mike's shorts...And then the empty handed daily search & rescue trips for the diesel in the week to follow. And the final realization that it was lost for good.
flagsracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flagsracer9 For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (12-31-2013), Lee3553  (12-27-2013)