Trumbull Canoe Trails

Trumbull Canoe Trails (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/index.php)
-   Trips (Official) (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Chilly Chili Bo Billi (http://www.trumbullcanoetrails.org/forum/showthread.php?t=186)

EAR 11-28-2010 08:44 PM

Chilly Chili Bo Billi

The ever popular Chilly Chili Run will be held on Dec. 5th starting at 11am at Canoe City on the Mahoning River in Leavittsburg.This run is held regardless of weather conditions. We wil set up then go for a paddle up the Mahoning River to where Eagle Creek enters and then go as far as we can before turning around and heading back to a hot fire and a warm bowl of chili !!! Cornbread and crackers too !!
A few members will set up a 10 x 15 tarp to protect against bad weather( just in case) and anyone who doesn't want to paddle can keep the fire going and stir the chili. We always need the help onshore too.
Now let's remember a few cold weather water rules and dress accordingly. A wetsuit if you have one. If you have one you know to layer lightly over it.
If you don't have one, dress in layers of poly-pro or wool underwear and fleece with wind breakers or Gore-Tex over top.Wool hats and gloves too! No cotton clothing if you can help it. No hip boots or chest waders!! Be sure to bring extra cloths in a dry bag and if you don't have one I'll have extras with me to carry in my canoe.
We were all aghast last year when Mike was going to climb into his kayak in full Carhart winter gear!! We told him if he fell in he would weight about 600 lbs and we could not save him.We got him into lighter stuff and I know now he has a wet suit that he uses all the time.
This is our last run of the year and we hope to get a good turnout to discuss, around the fire, some of the topics that have come up on the website recently and to carry them into our Jan.9th meeting.
Bring a few goodies to share and let's go for a winter paddle !!
Ed
eartt16@aol.com
directions from your house on the map page

suram 12-04-2010 01:25 PM

I hope no one is offended but I can't eat chili so I'm bringing sloppy joes. How do we keep it warm? Over the fire? Thanks, Sue

jimbo 12-04-2010 02:22 PM

Stove

Sue,
I will have my two burner stove that you can use.
Jim

suram 12-04-2010 03:39 PM

Thanks, Jim!

justbrad 12-04-2010 08:51 PM

Obviously, I can't read a calendar correctly. Thought that the trip was today and drove down from Erie. Went for a short paddle as long as I was there and left you a bag of doritos on top of the information kiosk for your gala tomorrow. Have a great paddle.

JPTolson 12-05-2010 10:09 PM

Thanks to everyone who pitched in and made the Chilly Chili Paddle such an enjoyable time with good spirit and camaraderie. A few pictures are posted in User Albums...enjoy.

jp

wardie 12-06-2010 03:06 PM

Great meeting you and members

Roy and I decided to stop by after the club breakfast and who did we get to meet right away? None other than JP Tolson! Great to meet you and the other members. I can only say "have wetsuit, will canoe"...

I would've like to stay but Roy wore those darn snake skin boots and they aren't for s**t in cold weather. Ha,ha never seen a snake in snow..at least alive anyways. looks like all had a good time and very good to hear no one went swimming!!

Wardie

JPTolson 12-06-2010 10:37 PM

Glad you stopped by Wardie. Must be that open boaters attract since Rich was also there when you and Roy first pulled up :13: The club has several neat traditional trips and this is one of them. Hope you can make it to the Procrastinator's Christmas Party on Jan. 9.